Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Very Frustrating Pickle

My parents tell me to relax. To enjoy not working. "You'll be working the rest of your life," Dad says when I trudge into his artwork studio that is adjacent to my bedroom, voicing my woes about the job search process that is much like a roller-coaster.

The truth is, I can't really enjoy myself unless I know for certain that either a.) I'm being productive to deserve this enjoyment or b.) have something lined up that will, in the long run, be productive. Plus, believe it or not, enjoyment usually involves money and the spending of such.

I suppose my job hunt adventures could fall under category "b," but the uncertainty of actually getting something after every prospect is killing me. I have a bottle of Korbel champagne waiting in my fridge. It was originally supposed to be for my acceptance into the JET (Teaching in Japan) program, but being on the indefinite wait-list has let the alcohol age indefinitely. I bet that on the day I finally get a job offer, the JET program will call up and say that an opening has freed up for me, in which case I will proceed to smash the bottle of champagne over my head and go on an angry Korbel rampage.

Undoubtedly more important than the monetary component of a new job is that I need to meet and interact with people. It's that simple. I fricking love my hometown of Medfield, Massachusetts, but it's like grandparents-- you won't be hanging out after 6 p.m. I would meet up with my high school friends, but they're off doing their own things, whether it be jobs or grad school. And visiting them (especially NYC dwelling pals) really burns a hole in the wallet. See the pickle I'm in?

3 comments:

Chandlee said...

Alec,

Sorry you find yourself in a pickle. After all your stellar efforts to get a job--and your work to date--it must feel awful.

Here's my two cents: it might be good for you to unplug for a couple of days--and do something completely unrelated to your job search... Naturally, the job's the most important thing but maybe a few days outside of the "pickle jar" would be a good thing for you.

In Manhattan, MeetUp.com offers amazing options for inexpensive side diversions, you might find the same to be true in your area as well.

Keep me posted on your search, and thanks for continuing to share your amazing voice with the world--whoever hires you is going to be lucky!

Chandlee Bryan

Al said...

Chandlee,

Thanks again for your advice and encouragement. I definitely think a break is what I need. I'm planning to take my mind off it for a little-- sometimes that's all you need to keep yourself in the right state of mind. I'll definitely keep you updated though, and thanks again.

Cody said...

Al - I totally know what you mean. Senior year when everyone was going out and partying and celebrating random things I didn't think that I had anything to celebrate... and didn't consider my time well spent unless I was applying to things and researching. So I've been there. *hug*. Also - have you considered teaching english in South Korea or Thailand or Eastern Europe? I know we studied Japanese - but it's never too late to learn even more. Google it man.