Saturday, September 5, 2009

The New Value Proposition

Yeah, I'm changing my employment strategy tactics. I'm shaking things up a bit. Why? First, consider the exact number of interviews I've had. It's put together in this nice little equation:


Three Phone interviews + Five 1st round interviews + Three 2nd round interviews = 11 Interviews

But unlike the Count, I'm not particularly jovial when reciting this number. Despite the fact they've been a valuable experience as my job hunt continues (what doesn't kill me makes me stronger), the daily commute into Boston is really burning a hole in my wallet. Did the Count ever have a segment on subtraction? If not, my MBTA situation would be an ideal theme for it. One, two, THREE ROUND-TRIP TICKETS! I love to subtract!

So Why All the Interviews and No Job?

Even though I haven't landed a job yet, I'm pretty pleased with the way I've interviewed. Besides the two phone interviews (the method I despise), I've made it very far in each face-to-face interview. My phone interview performances have been similar to those times in High School when I called up a girl to go on a date--full of awkward pauses and uncontrolled sweating. The bottom line is that I perform much better with non-verbal cues.

Although I have no evidence to back up this theory, I feel as though I get beat out by the more experienced applicant when I've made it to the second round of interviews. Either that, or the marketing team thinks I'm a complete loser. So, this predicament has led to...

My New Value Proposition

Now that I've got all sorts of interview experience and savvy, I'm really buckling down with new strategies and tactics to really land the job. Once I secure an interview with a company I really want to work for, I'll lay down this:
  • Although I can express my ambition to work, I can't overcome someone who has equal ambition but also more experience. So, give me a chance to prove myself. I know I can do some great stuff if you just give me an opportunity.
  • If it doesn't work out, I'll at least gain some experience (and therefore be better matched up against my interview competition: Mr./Mrs. Ambitiously Experienced).
So look out Mr./Mrs. Ambitiously Experienced. And watch yourself companies-who-want-to-give-me-a-shot. I've got a new value proposition.

1 comment:

megmarie said...

I think this an awesome proposition for your potential employers. Let me know how things pan out in NYC.

BTW you should come visit me in Brookline.