Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Music-Video Resume

Problem: I wrote too many cover letters. After awhile, I wondered if anyone was actually reading them or just crumpling them up into little paper basketballs. I'm assuming it was the latter, because I did get relatively creative with my prose in several of the applications. Creative enough at least to maybe--just maybe--get a human (not automated) email response letting me know my application was received. But no, my thirty-minute generated prose was probably scrunched into a ball and deflected off the wastebasket rim like my hopes (and odds) of scoring a job.



Solution: I made a Musical Cover Letter / Resume!



I remember hearing somewhere that if you want to get noticed, make a music video. I also remember reading about some guy who got hired for a company because he designed a whole website dedicated to why the corporation should hire him. Essentially, he was applying for the job in a unique, creative way that illustrates what he can do for the company. It's really two messages rolled up in creativity. So I was inspired by both ideas and made a music video resume. I tried to balance professionalism with humor (it's basically how I operate anyway) with what I know how to do (write a fairly decent tune).

3 comments:

Thời trang hàng hiệu Hàn Quốc said...

Really excellent, and creative! I watched your video on CNN and I really like it!

Al said...

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

Mario Tancock said...

I am a career advisor in higher ed and will be using your piece with my students. Excellent job and good luck making up your mind on what offer to take.