Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Today, HLN. Tomorrow, Vermont Radio!

I'm slowly beginning to understand the biggest downside of internet media's viral distribution: the distance between creator and audience. When I first made the music video resume, I had just intended to send it to prospective employers who posted positions that I applied for. So, if they liked it and were interested in employing me, they'd have no problem sending a reply email. However, when the video went viral, I lost that selectivity. I wish I could go back and say:

"I'm simply looking for an entry level Marketing position where I can launch my career."

Maybe I should have included a verse like that in my song:

"I'm just lookin' for Marketing in the entry level,
A position with growth potential I'd surely revel..."


...I highly doubt that an employer will reach out to me in an economy this tight. I still need to apply for jobs until I land one. At least I can still use the video cover letter and the recognition it has received for quite awhile-- that is a huge plus. Also, the news coverage in itself is never bad since it continues the momentum.

Now if I could just get on Conan or Leno... <--- The latter actually went to Bentley University but dropped out after a semester. That fact would definitely be my "in" as a guest on the show. But alas, submitting video to their site is near impossible-- there is very little chance they'd pick my email to read.

But I'm satisfied with all the interviews and blog coverage. It's nice and well done.

4 comments:

James The Least said...

Al,

Stay Positive! You're doing a good job marketing yourself and you're setting a great example!

Here's a fantastic resource for you to explore:

http://blog.spinstrategy.com/

(Tim's writing is helping me in my own Job Search, and it will help you, too!)

Mad Blogger said...

Watched your news item from the internet.. Loved your approach and the positive spirit that you put up in these times of distress... All the best wishes in your hunt!!! Hopefully something would come true very quickly for u.. You are certainly different.. a pleasant one of it as well!!!

A New Beginning said...

Hey Alec, I came to your blog through Mad Blogger! Like you spirit!!!Real positive:) Keep up and all the very best to u!I am sure you'll get a great job!

Priscilla said...

Maybe you gonna be famous in France too : we put your video spot on our website, very interesting ! We expect you'll get a job (in USA) ;-) http://redaction.blog.regionsjob.com/index.php/post/2009/07/24/%22Hire-Me%22%2C-le-CV-chant%C3%A9-made-in-USA