Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Creativity = Insomnia Fuel

I'm not sure why it happens, but most of my creative ideas hit me while I'm just about to fall asleep. Perhaps it's because my mind is clear of stress and worry in the seconds before I nod off, or maybe it's something to do with the subconscious. Either way, once a good idea hits me, I immediately slink out of my near comatose state and my mind starts racing.












There's a bit of frustration involvled as I scorn my brain for not thinking of such innovation during normal, waking hours. I feel like it's Christmas Eve and I know I'm getting The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in eight hours because I "accidentally" uncovered the shrink wrapped N64 box in the basement toolbox last week. I don't care if I just discovered that Santa doesn't exist-- I'm gonna save the Princess. But, I digress...

Anyway, my exciting ideas have been a result of me making work for myself. I really believe that's what you gotta do when times are tough. And by making work, I mean all of the following:
  • Approaching small businesses and offering to help with marketing
  • Assisting people with selling stuff on eBay for a cut
  • Tutoring high school students in Calculus, Physics, Writing and Statistics
  • Getting TEFL certified by taking an 100 hr online course
  • Developing a website for an HR Consultant
Of course, my exciting ideas are stemming from the first bullet point, in which I'm helping out small businesses with marketing. I'm a novice no doubt, but it's a great way to get my feet wet with how stuff works. I'll figure out how stuff works myself--just like I did with the guitar.

My great idea that kept me up last night involves (among other things) the following:
  1. A Guitar
  2. An old friend from high school who majored in theater
  3. A Bakery
  4. Twitter
  5. Free Bagels
  6. YouTube
  7. (hopefully) Engaged Customers
  8. Increased Sales
  9. Billy Costa
It's going to be fun.

I think that's what matters at this point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of 'Sex, Drugs, and Cocopuffs', an entire book by chuck klosterman with his bedtime philosophy. great read

Chandlee said...

I can't wait to see the outcome of all of this, thanks for sharing!

Chandlee