Monday, August 3, 2009

The Lost Generation


Because I'm a member of Beta Gamma Sigma (the honors business fraternity) I get a free yearly membership to Business Week and Fortune. It's basically like the fraternity I never joined at Bentley-- but instead of keg parties, hazing and sorority girls, you get free magazine subscriptions, a certificate and the occasional discount to the Apple Store. Hooray!

I'll admit it-- I originally began ordering Business Week while I was at Bentley University not because I wanted to read it, but because I thought it would be a good supplement. Sort of like vitamins that don't go down too well. But I began reading them on a daily basis and became hooked.

I used to be all about reading Sports Illustrated on a weekly basis, but now that NASCAR and Golf have become annoyingly popular (and have half the magazine dedicated to their happenings) I've switched over to Business Week. I could really care less about the course layout at the upcoming Master's Tournament or whichever NASCAR driver is being tested for meth-amphetamine.

That being said, the latest issue of Business Week had a story that was rather unsettling for me. Actually, many of the most recent articles have been depressing/frightening/upsetting due to the state of the economy, but this one was more relevant to me (despite the fact it relates to Europe).

Long story short: If my generation (Generation Y) is unable to find work within the next several years, we'll be losing the opportunity to gain the skills necessary to qualify for and land a job when the opportunity arrives later. Entry level jobs will most likely go to the fresh college grads because the recession will most likely hinder the "lost generation" from competing for jobs in the marketplace.

1 comment:

Simply Unpredictable said...

Yeah, I kinda know what you mean.

I graduated Bentley in '99 and had two years of experience before the "dot-com bust". Since I'm a computer-geek extraordinaire, and was working for basically a dot-com, I knew my fate -- a lay-off.

Trying to get another position with only two years of experience under my belt is about the same as having no experience. Not quite enough for a mid-level position, but too much for entry. The key is you just need to find the right company that's willing to take the risk.

The great thing is the Bentley name will help in New England (wasn't quite as great here in Atlanta). I have great hope that your musical resume will bring you something soon!