Monday, May 19, 2008

'Roo Nights

Pictures and Words

Prior to arriving in Australia, I was pretty excited about seeing a kangaroo. In fact, I'm not sure I'd even seen one of these marsupials in person before coming here. I eventually saw one at the zoo (previous post) but at that point I had no idea I'd be eating them—especially on a weekly basis with a side salad, mashed potatoes and a pot of beer. All for a low price of $10. With all things considered, I'm probably actually making money by eating 'roo every Monday night. And I haven't even mentioned how delicious it is.


I took my camera on this trip for a few reasons. Firstly, after this week's trip to the Croft Institute, Dro awoke my inner paparazzi by taking tons of photos (which is for the best, since I just realized how little time I have left here and how much there is to photograph). Another reason for me to bring the Powershot was the fact that I feel that this weekly trip is going to be one of those memories that stays with me. I mean, after I'm back home for a couple of years, I can always reflect back on my time abroad with Pete, Meg, Matt, Brian, Dro, Courtney, Lamya, Joe, Tom, and whoever else has joined us for these dinners and say, "remember that time we ate kangaroo?"

Interestingly, the whole concept of eating kangaroo in Australia is relatively new. Apparently, it's only recently been popularized by restaurants and food establishments over the past decade, so there are quite a few Australians who find it strange to eat the meat. Me, being a naive American, find little (if anything) wrong with eating it. It's damn delicious. However, the reason for consumption is not actually because the steaks complement mashed potatoes, salad (and now carrots!) so well-- instead, it's because the bouncy little guys have become a pest (i.e. knocking down fences on farms, eating crops, etc.). So, we're actually doing Australia a favor by eating them.

But I do understand why some Australians may find this absurd. Imagine one day, back at home, the government was like "damn, we're really having an issue with squirrel overpopulation." So yeah, you see where I'm going with this. Maybe the Australians would be the ones who find squirrel steaks delicious, who knows.

No comments: